We're looking for a world-class artist to join the team! Senior Environment Artist
Formed in 2010, The Chinese Room is an internationally recognised, award-winning studio based in Brighton, UK. Our previous titles include the critically-acclaimed, breakout title Dear Esther, and the cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs. We're currently working with Sony Santa Monica on a PS4 exclusive - the open-world game Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, which we are working in CryEngine to realise.
We love stories in games, and place great emphasis on that sense of 'being in the world' that, we believe, games do better than any other art form. We're lucky enough to have a team of exceptional people, all passionate about what they do and the games we make, so we'd love to hear from talented and dedicated artists who want to be part of that.
You are driven by that sense of wonder that a well-crafted game world can create. You are highly skilled at modelling and texturing, with a keen eye for form, colour and composition. You are a passionate and hands-on individual who understands the principle that ‘just being there’ is a fundamental part of a great game experience. Combining a strong technical ability with an ambitious artistic sense, you want to be part of a team creating stunning, immersive worlds in next-gen technology.
You are ready to dive straight into a production already well under way, and to lend your expertise to supporting an established artistic vision for the game. You relish the chance to join a small, passionate and strong art team at a critical stage, generating a high volume of exceptional quality assets and integrating these into a world where environmental storytelling is a fundamental priority. You are looking to join a company that places story and emotional experience at the core of its games - to be part of an exciting stage of its development by supporting it through an innovative, PS4-exclusive title and helping it drive forwards onto future projects.
You will be joining a five-strong art team, in a company that currently consists of twelve people. The job will be in-house, at our offices in Brighton, UK.
- Work under the Art Director and alongside 3 Environment Artists and a VFX Artist to realise the vision for the game.
- Play a central role in asset creation, optimisation and placement for a PS4 title realised with CryEngine.
Requirements and Skills
- Experience working with a current generation game development engine. Direct CryEngine experience is highly advantageous.
- 4+ years industry experience at a Senior Art level or higher.
- Credited as a Lead/Senior artist on at least one recently published title on current/next-gen consoles or PC equivalent.
- Expert knowledge of Maya and Zbrush / Mudbox.
- Working knowledge of authoring complex materials on current gen consoles.
- Solid understanding of material and texture requirements for dynamic lighting conditions.
- Ability to operate in a small, fast-moving team, with strong skills in self-management and self-learning.
- Ability to creatively respond to briefs, follow direction and look for opportunities to excel.
- Salary Depends on experience
- Location Brighton, UK & Europe